Re: Audio CD questions

On Thursday 19 June 2003 16:42, Gabriel Meier wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 01:46:40AM +0200, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> > > Could someone point me in the right direction here?  Also, what
> > > does everyone recommed for a preferred storage format (wav, mp3,
> > > ogg)?
> >
> > If you care about quality, wav.
> >
> > If you also care about storage space, compress it with flac
> > (free *lossless* audio codec).
> >
> > If you care about storage space more than quality, ogg.
>
> Incorrect! You will not be able to hear the difference between ogg at
> 128 or even at 96 and wav. Try it out. I usually use ogg at 96. it is
> same quality as mp3 at 128, but with smaller files. The quality of
> wave is technically best, listening to it, you will not notice that.

Incorrect! ;-)

I am able to say the difference between ogg 96 and ogg 128. Not to
mention the difference between ogg and wav. (ofcourse as someone else
mentioned, you need high quality speakers or headphones to be able to
do so. With a $20 speaker, mp3 64 and wav probably do not sound that
different.

face it guys, ogg and mp3 are both lossy codecs. Between ogg and mp3,
ogg is both more compressed and has got better quaility.

Cheers

--
/* You can always count on Americans to do the
right thing; - after they've tried everything else.