Re: Creating a account with a blank password?

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 at 12:00pm, Jason Grindlay wrote:

:I'm trying to create a login account on a Debian Woody (3.0) system that
:has no password. (i.e. blank/empty password)  As far as I understand it
:I need to edit /etc/passwd and remove the 'x' from the field after the
:username (I'm using shadow passwords) leaving a line like
:'user::10:10:name:homedir:shell' remaining (or else do the same with
:/etc/shadow leaving the password field blank.)
:
:I've tried both of the above and tried doing a login but entering no
:password is not accepted...  Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong?

I just did that successfully by leaving the /etc/passwd file alone and
removing the encrypted password from the /etc/shadow file.

Patrick