Re: Questions re kernel

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 21:44:58 +1200
cr <cr@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> However, there are a number of things that need sorting, including a
> couple of what may be fundamental points that I should sort out before
> this installation gets too far down the track.
>
> First, I have a couple of DOS partitions which I'd like to access from
> Linux. mount -t umsdos /dev/hdc1 /mnt/dosC
> gives
> mount: fs type umsdos not supported by kernel
>
> Am I using the wrong kernel? (uname says I'm using  idepci:
> Linux alti 2.2.20-idepci #1 Sat Apr 20 12:45:19 EST 2002 i586 unknown
> Should I be using Vanilla or is there another type name for DOS
> partitions?  Can I install the 'right' kernel without a full reinstall?
> Or is there any program that will give me access to the DOS partitions
> without needing kernel support?

Go to /boot and do "grep UMSDOS config-2.2.20-idepci". If it comes back
"CONFIG_UMSDOS_FS=m" you just need to load the module. If it comes back
"#CONFIG_UMSDOS_FS is not set" then you'll need to recompile the kernel to
get that filesystem support.

For The Debian Way to manage kernels, see:

http://newbiedoc.sourceforge.net/system/kernel-pkg.html

> Secondly, I'm having to boot off the boot floppy (which takes forever) - I
>
> had this same problem with RH7.2, eventually fixed by installing GRUB.  I
> presume GRUB will work with Debian?

Grub works very well in Debian. The major differences from Chapeau Rouge are
that the configuration file is /boot/grub/menu.lst instead of grub.conf or
whatever, and Debian has scripts to generate and update that file
automagically. See man update-grub.

The place I point people to learn about grub, install it and make a grub
boot floppy is here:

Kevin