Questions re kernel

I've just managed (on my second attempt) to install Debian 3.0 and get PPP
working (so this time the RedHat 7.2 hard drive doesn't go straight back in)

However, there are a number of things that need sorting, including a couple
of what may be fundamental points that I should sort out before this
installation gets too far down the track.

First, I have a couple of DOS partitions which I'd like to access from Linux.
mount -t umsdos /dev/hdc1 /mnt/dosC
gives
mount: fs type umsdos not supported by kernel

Am I using the wrong kernel? (uname says I'm using  idepci:
Linux alti 2.2.20-idepci #1 Sat Apr 20 12:45:19 EST 2002 i586 unknown
Should I be using Vanilla or is there another type name for DOS partitions?
Can I install the 'right' kernel without a full reinstall?   Or is there any
program that will give me access to the DOS partitions without needing kernel
support?

Secondly, I'm having to boot off the boot floppy (which takes forever) - I
had this same problem with RH7.2, eventually fixed by installing GRUB.  I
presume GRUB will work with Debian?

Chris