Re: Questions re kernel

On Sun, 15 Jun 2003 21:44:58 +1200
cr <cr@orcon.net.nz> wrote:

> mount -t umsdos /dev/hdc1 /mnt/dosC
> gives
> mount: fs type umsdos not supported by kernel
>
> Am I using the wrong kernel? (uname says I'm using  idepci:
> Linux alti 2.2.20-idepci #1 Sat Apr 20 12:45:19 EST 2002 i586 unknown
> Should I be using Vanilla or is there another type name for DOS
> partitions?  Can I install the 'right' kernel without a full
> reinstall?   Or is there any program that will give me access to the
> DOS partitions without needing kernel support?

Does mount -t msdos /dev/hdc1 /mnt/dosC give the same error?
It may be a dumb question because I think they are part of the same
filesystem, but I would try -t auto too, before recompiling or switching
kernels unless you have fun doing it.  Can you mount any fat/vfat
filesystems now?

> Secondly, I'm having to boot off the boot floppy (which takes forever)
> - I had this same problem with RH7.2, eventually fixed by installing
> GRUB.  I presume GRUB will work with Debian?

Yes GRUB works with Debian.  See http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/.  You
can just
#apt-get install grub
and then read the web pages for configuration and syntax help.

Shawn Lamson
shawn.lamson@verizon.net
Debian GNU/Linux 3.0