Re: CVS_RSH for :ext: CVS access

On Friday 13 June 2003 13:39, Mark Ferlatte wrote:
> Colin Watson said on Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 06:29:22PM +0100:

> > > Right now, everything that has silly default settings to use rsh
> > > automatically uses ssh, which means that things Just Work in a secure
> > > environment.  If this happens, would it be possible to change all of
> > > the upstream defaults to use ssh instead of rsh instead?
> >
> > Well, you have to do this on every other system anyway (see the
> > confusion in this very thread) ... I dunno.
>
> One of the reasons that my company standardized on Debian is that we
> _don't_ have to do stupid things like this all the time; we can trust that
> the Debian maintainer has put some thought into their part of the system,
> and that it's setup in a sane fashion by default.  Since, for _most_ (not
> all) people, using rsh in insane, this seems like a step in the wrong
> direction to me.

I standardized on Debian too.  But I've got to work with the red distro too.
Things no longer "just worked" and I can no longer  be blissfully ignorant of
why things just work better in Debian.  (I learned about UID and GID values
differing between distros and how that affects NFS file ownership yesterday.)

> Obviously, if this gets changed, we'll adapt, so it's exactly a huge big
> deal, but this is functionality that I was actually happy to see present in
> Debian, and would be sad to see removed.

It sounds like the Debian maintainers are adapting to the openssh project
removing rsh support.  If so, Debians have no choice in the matter then.
--
Mike Mueller