Converting to UTF-8 from ISO-8859

I've been working on converting my system over to using UTF-8 wherever
possible. I've already configured galeon, evolution, gnome-terminal and
just about every other graphical application to use UTF-8 by default.
I've set my locale to "en_US.UTF-8". And just about everything works
just fine. Unfortunately, as I'm not all that familiar with all of the
details of an i18n interface, there are a few things that still elude
me.

1) I've set up an .Xmodmap file to map my left Windows key to Multi_key
so that I can type extended characters. However, I have to run "xmodmap
.Xmodmap" manually every time I restart X. I'm guessing that I should
put this in an X startup script. A .bashrc equivalent for X.
Unfortunately, I'm not sure what the proper file to put it in is.

2) Is there a way to get UTF-8 support in a regular text console? The
only place I've seen what I believe to be actual UTF-8 output at a
regular text console is from apt-listchanges using the "pager" setting.
Everything else seems to choke. This is a real problem with ncurses
applications like querybts, because they become nearly unusable since
it's very difficult to distinguish between actual letters and the
garbled output that should be a "window".

3) Assuming that #2 is possible, how can I type extended characters in a
text console? While in X, I can, for example, type "Windows Key", Y, =,
and get the yen symbol (¥). However, since a text mode terminal doesn't
care about any X keybindings, I have no way to type extended characters
like that. Is there another method of inputting these characters? Or am
I just stuck with the regular set of QWERTY keys?

4) While emacs seems to be an early adopter of new technologies, it
seems that emacs support for UTF-8 is still quite sketchy. Saving a file
as UTF-8 isn't too difficult, yet opening one is. Am I stuck waiting
until emacs 22 for better UTF-8 support, or is there something that can
be done in the interim? (especially a solution to allow emacs to
recognize UTF-8 encoded files when opening a file).

5) Just to satisfy my own curiosity, could someone explain the
difference between all of the different UTF flavors? I've seen UTF-7,
UTF-8, UTF-16, etc. My first guess would be that the number represents
the number of bits used to represent any single character. Yet that
seems unlikely since UTF-8 has WELL over 255 characters. Could anyone
enlighten me?

--
Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837