Installing new fonts

Hello,

which is the official way to install a true type font in debian sid, in
order for it to be seen by kde and gnome apps?

I tried

   mkdir /usr/share/fonts/truetype/myfonts

   cp *.ttf /usr/share/fonts/truetype/myfonts

   xftcache

the font is indeed visible, in both gnome and kde, but there is a
strange problem: sometimes gtk apps (pan, mozilla...) disable the
autohinting in freetype2, with a resulting bad look. Also kde apps show
problems (the antialiased fonts are not sharp as they were).

So I am doing something wrong. But what?

PS: I am using antialiasing btw. And I've disabled the bytecode
interpreter via

  Xft.autohint : 1

in .Xresources.

Thank you!