Re: Using Debian as a Broadband Router

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 03:51:24PM -0700, DLM wrote:

> But now - what's slowing me down?  Tests now actually show faster
> connections from my workstations that from the firewall server (which
> is connected directly to the T-1).

Well, if workstations going through the firewall are faster, then you
know the throughput is good.  Perhaps it's some overhead with drive
access?  Are the numbers for the workstations throughput more like what
you'd expect for your connection, or are they still rather low?

You can check your drive access with hdparm:

   hparm -Tt /dev/hda

The above assumes you are one IDE drive connected as Master to the first
controller.  If this is not the case change the device above to that of
your hard drive.  If you have more than one drive in the system, repeat
the test for all drives.

--
Jamin W. Collins

Remember, root always has a loaded gun.  Don't run around with it unless
you absolutely need it. -- Vineet Kumar