xinetd using 98% of cpu

I don't know whether this is related but in the past 10 days I had to
reboot my sarge machine twice because  when I came into the office it
would not react to the keyboard or efforts to log in through ssh.  On
both occasions the hard disk led was on permanently.

At the moment the machine is very slow and "top" shows that xinetd
is using between 90% and 98% of the cpu.  netstat did not show any
strange connections.

How can I determine what is keeping xinetd busy?

Regards.
Johann
--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye
      do, do all to the glory of God."
                                  I Corinthians 10:31