Re: Shell script or Perl?

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 05:57:05PM -0700, Steve Lamb wrote:
} On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 23:48:47 +0300
} Aryan Ameri <a.ameri@linuxiran.org> wrote:
} > If the intended users of the script are likely to use different Unix
} > versions, then sh scripting is probably the safe bet. On the other
} > hand, if you are counting on them, running your script on Windows or
} > traditional Macintosh, then perl is a safer bet.
}
}     This is not the first time I've seen this said and I am curious where,
} exactly, an sh script would be more portable than a perl script?

On any system where only licensed commercial executables are allowed to be
installed. Believe it or not, there are systems out there which have *no*
non-commercial software on them, including perl, GNU utilities, Apache,
etc. Usually this is a management decision rather than a technical one, but
that is irrelevant. If you have to write a script (e.g. an installer for a
commercial product, which might be installed on such a system) which
has to work on such a system, it better be POSIX-pure /bin/sh.

}          Steve C. Lamb         | I'm your priest, I'm your shrink, I'm your
--Greg