Re: Shell script or Perl?

On Thursday 12 June 2003 19:08, John Hasler wrote:
> Matthew Weier O'Phinney writes:
> > One aspect of [Perl] I particularly like is that it is also very
> > portable: I don't have to worry about which shell is available on
> > which system...
>
> On Unix and Linux conservatively-written POSIX sh scripts are more
> portable than Perl.

Well, in depends on portability on what kind of system you are talking
about.

If the intended users of the script are likely to use different Unix
versions, then sh scripting is probably the safe bet. On the other
hand, if you are counting on them, running your script on Windows or
traditional Macintosh, then perl is a safer bet.

BTW, now that we are here, I wonder about the portability of awk. Is awk
available on all major Unices?

Cheers
--
/* You can always count on Americans to do the
right thing; - after they've tried everything else.