Re: dvd slow and slows clock

  Thanks, I know what DMA means. I just never heard that disabling DMA
  for a device will cause the system clock to run at 1/3 speed. I've
  run other disks with DMA disabled. But maybe thats really it.

> As for the USB 2 linked device, I am not sure... I know that DMA is disabled
> on CD/DVD for some reason I do not remember, to avoid some problem in some
> systems, but is enableable... I do not know if that apply to other devices
> (firewire/USB2, etc), may be not.
>
> By the way, How do you use the USB2 device... what kernel do you have... I
> though that USB2 support was available only from kernel 2.5 and above!.

  I think it was in the stock 2.4.19 and .20 kernels. I just selected
  support for usb 2.0 and for usb mass storage ( other stuff, like
  ide-scsi is necessary too.).   I had all those modules compiled in
  case I ever got the hardware.  So I got the dvd+-rw drive and a usb
  2.0 pci card, and an box with an ide to usb interface.  I threw the
  drive in the box, threw the card in the motherboard and
  rebooted. Upon connecting the cable, I could get at the drive via /dev/scd1.

--
John Lapeyre http://physics.arizona.edu/~lapeyre