dvd slow and slows clock

This is probably not debian specific, but I have been revisiting this
problem for a couple of years and searching on the web and am stumped.

Dvd is too slow to view a dvd (I've tried a bunch of programs, am
using vlc now) I have to copy the files to hard drive. But the
transfer is slow, about 1MB/s and the desktop has bad very response
time during this time and the system clock runs very slow. The mouse
in particular will hang for a second or so at a time.  Its something
like a 12x dvd, Athlon 1800+ with 1GB Mushkin RAM. I don't get it. I
have tried shuffling pci cards, switch things around in the BIOS. I
have a promise ide pci card, but I have moved the drive back and forth
from the on board controllers.  I don't think I have tried another dvd
drive, I wonder if this one is defective. Anyone had similar problems
? Or do you know a forum I can send this to ?

Please Cc me.
Thanks,
John

--