Re: dvd slow and slows clock

On Friday 06 June 2003 08:04 am, John Lapeyre wrote:
> This is probably not debian specific, but I have been revisiting this
> problem for a couple of years and searching on the web and am stumped.
>
> Dvd is too slow to view a dvd (I've tried a bunch of programs, am
> using vlc now) I have to copy the files to hard drive. But the
> transfer is slow, about 1MB/s and the desktop has bad very response
> time during this time and the system clock runs very slow. The mouse
> in particular will hang for a second or so at a time.

You probably don't have DMA activated.

I have my DVD on /dev/hdc, and I do this as root:

hdparm -d1 /dev/hdc

Then, if this works, you can put a script on /etc/init.d and a link to it in
/etc/rcS.d, so DMA gets activated during boot-up.... however I am not very
sure about this last step, I've never done it in debian (only in SuSE), so
maybe one of the more learned debianites can tell us about it.