using xserver-xfree86-dbg

Just installed xserver-xfree86-dbg to find out what's messing up my X
Here's relevant part of the package description:

Package: xserver-xfree86-dbg
 This package is a variant of the xserver-xfree86 package which includes a
 monolithic XFree86 X server binary (as opposed to using loadable server
 modules on the architectures where they are supported) and which retains
 debugging symbols for execution tracing and core dump analysis.

The package contains no documentation at all. Once the X server has
crashed, where do I find the dumped core etc. gdb is not an old friend
of mine, but I guess that I'll have to learn how to use it. Any good
pointers for that ("gdb for drawling morons in ten seconds")

Except for the server the xserver-xfree86-dbg package includes the
binary /usr/share/bug/xserver-xfree86-dbg. Is this a debugging tool or
what? How do I use it?

Alex Polite