is it correct to specific a path name like this

Hi everyone,

	I am writing some shell scripts, but I run into some problems.
I have a dir name which has space in it.  I know this is bad but I can't
avoid it.  I am forced to deal with this situation.  How do I set a
variable that contain the dir name which has space in it.  I tried
several ways:

$PDB=~/.kde/share/apps/kpilot/DBBackup/Cool Joe/AddressDB.pdb
$PDB="~/.kde/share/apps/kpilot/DBBackup/Cool Joe/AddressDB.pdb"
$PDB='~/.kde/share/apps/kpilot/DBBackup/Cool Joe/AddressDB.pdb'

ls $PDB

give me error.  is there a way or no way?

--
Edwin ERTW Lau