Re: is it correct to specific a path name like this

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 01:22:00AM -0400, try_email_me@yahoo.ca wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> 	I am writing some shell scripts, but I run into some problems.
> I have a dir name which has space in it.  I know this is bad but I can't
> avoid it.  I am forced to deal with this situation.  How do I set a
> variable that contain the dir name which has space in it.  I tried
> several ways:
>
> $PDB=~/.kde/share/apps/kpilot/DBBackup/Cool Joe/AddressDB.pdb
> $PDB="~/.kde/share/apps/kpilot/DBBackup/Cool Joe/AddressDB.pdb"
> $PDB='~/.kde/share/apps/kpilot/DBBackup/Cool Joe/AddressDB.pdb'
>
> ls $PDB
>
> give me error.  is there a way or no way?

When setting a variable in a shell script you set it without the "$"
like -

PDB='~/.kde/share/apps/kpilot/DBBackup/Cool Joe/AddressDB.pdb'

and then call it with $PDB.

$ echo $PDB

hth,
kent

--
"I am always doing that which I can not do,
   in order that I may learn how to do it." --Pablo Picasso