Re: OT mozilla filter to keep my debian mail list organized

* Aryan Ameri (a.ameri@linuxiran.org) [030612 15:01]:
> On Thursday 12 June 2003 19:18, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> > * Aryan Ameri (a.ameri@linuxiran.org) [030612 05:24]:
> > > You should setup your email program, to filter mails, which are
> > > addressed to the followings:
> > >
> > > debian-user@lists.debian.org
> > > debian-user-digest@lists.debian.org
> > > debian-user-digest@list.debian.org
> > > debian-user@virtual.doorstop.net
> >
> > Heh!  Filtering on TO the list address and _my_ address gets 99.99%
> > of this list traffic?  Maybe this is a sign I should take a break for
> > a little while!
> >
> > Really, like others have said, you should be using the X-Mailing-List
> > header to sort debian lists.
>
> To troll, or not to troll.... This is the question.

I see that you have decided to troll =)

> When Collin Watson mentioned in a follow-up, that filtering on
> X-Mailing-List is in fact better than filtering on To, I agreed and
> admitted that it seems I have to change my filters.
>
> Thank you for reading all my messages in a tread, before replying to
> them.

I didn't mean to say that "you" (as in you, Aryan) needed to hear me say
again what you had already heard from Colin.

I was simply amused to see my email address listed in your filter, so I
posted a remark.  I think it would indeed be silly if others started
creating similar filters using my own email address!

Then since I was posting in the thread at all, I just mentioned
X-Mailing-List again.  I just feel that FAQs like this would come up
less often in the lists if they were FAQs (frequently-answered
questions) in the archives.  In the case that someone ends up browsing
the archives later and sees your post in this branch of this thread, but
maybe not the other posts in another branch, it doesn't hurt to have the
"correct" answer reinforced, especially when there are other suggestions
in the same vicinity.  Since we don't often see "SUMMARY: " posts
detailing the answers received and the one deemed "best", someone
searching the archives might find many answers to a problem and not know
which one to try, so I try to highlight the "correct" answer whenever I
post, even when this means reiteration in the form of "as others have
already pointed out, ...".

So again, I apologize.  Please don't take it personally; I meant "you"
in the general sense, and in general, posts to this list are public and
general, aimed at the entire readership consisting of current active
subscribers and future archive-readers, not just the author of the post
to which I'm replying.

good times,
Vineet
--