Re: OT mozilla filter to keep my debian mail list organized

On Friday 13 June 2003 02:05, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> * Aryan Ameri (a.ameri@linuxiran.org) [030612 15:01]:
> > On Thursday 12 June 2003 19:18, Vineet Kumar wrote:
> > > * Aryan Ameri (a.ameri@linuxiran.org) [030612 05:24]:

> > > Heh!  Filtering on TO the list address and _my_ address gets
> > > 99.99% of this list traffic?  Maybe this is a sign I should take
> > > a break for a little while!
> > >
> > > Really, like others have said, you should be using the
> > > X-Mailing-List header to sort debian lists.
> >
> > To troll, or not to troll.... This is the question.
>
> I see that you have decided to troll =)
>
> > When Collin Watson mentioned in a follow-up, that filtering on
> > X-Mailing-List is in fact better than filtering on To, I agreed and
> > admitted that it seems I have to change my filters.
> >
> > Thank you for reading all my messages in a tread, before replying
> > to them.
>
> I didn't mean to say that "you" (as in you, Aryan) needed to hear me
> say again what you had already heard from Colin.
>
> I was simply amused to see my email address listed in your filter, so
> I posted a remark.  I think it would indeed be silly if others
> started creating similar filters using my own email address!

I didn't realize that this was your email address, untill now. I always
thought it was some kind of a debian mail server mirror, or something
like that. I am really sorry for not paying enough attention.

> Then since I was posting in the thread at all, I just mentioned
> X-Mailing-List again.  I just feel that FAQs like this would come up
> less often in the lists if they were FAQs (frequently-answered
> questions) in the archives.  In the case that someone ends up
> browsing the archives later and sees your post in this branch of this
> thread, but maybe not the other posts in another branch, it doesn't
> hurt to have the "correct" answer reinforced, especially when there
> are other suggestions in the same vicinity.  Since we don't often see
> "SUMMARY: " posts detailing the answers received and the one deemed
> "best", someone searching the archives might find many answers to a
> problem and not know which one to try, so I try to highlight the
> "correct" answer whenever I post, even when this means reiteration in
> the form of "as others have already pointed out, ...".

I can see your point here.

> So again, I apologize.  Please don't take it personally; I meant
> "you" in the general sense, and in general, posts to this list are
> public and general, aimed at the entire readership consisting of
> current active subscribers and future archive-readers, not just the
> author of the post to which I'm replying.

:-) yes, this is a general rule, that everyone should keep in mind.

I really would like to use this opportunity and thank this list, which
always pationately and politely points out my mistakes. During my 5
month involvment in this list, I have learned valuable things from you
guys. Aside from technical aspects, this list has also helped me
improve my communication skills.

Thanks

--
/* You can always count on Americans to do the
right thing; - after they've tried everything else.