fluxbox

Initial install of fluxbox went smoothly. apt-get install fluxbox got me an older version which had some bugs. So I did a dpkg -r and removed it. (please bear with me Im new to linux this is my second day at it and yes I have read every pertinent fluxbox man file as well as fluxboxes forum and faq) thus removing the package. I then downloaded the tar ball from fluxboxes site version 0.1.14 which should have resolved the issues i was having in which file changes made to config files where overwritten on restart of your window manager

did ./ configure did make did make install

did fluxbox -version the version now showed as 0.1.14

everything seemed to work flawlessly.

I continued having problems with changes made to bgsetbg and other settings dissapearing finally did a fluxbox -version again and it showed the older apt-get module !

I then did make uninstall on the fluxbox version i downloaded and proceeded to dpkg -P the older module that was somehow still installed.

Then I reinstalled the newer fluxbox.

Im getting this error now :BaseDisplay: Connection to X server failed: Fluxbox: unknown error.

I checked the logs in /var/messages and what appeared to be the x server logs in etc/X11

what am I missing here ? Is there a log that I can check that will give me a better error to work from. All other mgr's work fine but I really miss fluxbox I liked the small resources footprint.