Re: [OT] Printer Languages

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003 09:29:28 -0500
Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com> wrote:

> At 2003-06-11T04:07:01Z, Andrew Perrin <clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu>
> writes:
>
>>>      45 TrueType, 35 PostScript®, 4 international
>
>> No - a postscript document will send its own as needed.
>
> Out of curiosity, why can't I print non-western pages from Mozilla to my
> 1200SE in Postscript mode?  Since I've never had a *need* to print those
> pages, I've never bothered looking too closely at the problem.  Still, I
> thought it would be interesting to see how the 1200SE rendered Kanji
> from a Japanese game site, but it just printed garbage.

I get the little square boxes, implying that it doesn't have the font.
I don't know where one *gets* those fonts; but, like you, I haven't
had any reason to move this up the list of things to look into.

>>> is it worthwhile to upgrade the RAM for light printing duties?
>
>> No.
>
> I disagree.  I was able to buy a 3rd-party 64MB module for about $25.
> At that price, why not?

Well, the OP asked whether it'd be worthwhile.  Did you notice a
significant performance difference after installing that memory?  When
I bought my LJ1200se, I did a lot of DejaGoogling and found a number
of people who'd installed additional memory; but of those who commented
on performance before/after, *all* of them noted that they didn't see
any difference in performance.  Now, I haven't done this experiment
myself; if you've seen a difference in performance, than you have.
But without such a difference in performance, I can't see how it's
worthwhile, even if it's cheap.  Cheap useless stuff is still useless
stuff.

-c

		(remove "snip-me." to email)