Re: [OT] Printer Languages (WAS: Re: [OT] Printer recommendations)

On Wed, 11 Jun 2003, [iso-8859-1] Roberto Sanchez wrote:

> what are these languages and what do they mean?
>
>      HP PCL 6, HP PCL 5e, HP printer language (emulates Adobe® PostScript®
> Level 2)

PCL is HP's standard page description language; it's adequate but, to
paraphrase Lloyd Bentsen, "it's no Postscript."  You can get ghostscript
to translate into it, though, if you must.

The site just says that the 1300 (and the 1150) "emulates PostScript Level
2" - not that it does so via HP Printer Language. In any case, the fact
that it does so makes the rest irrelevant - just use it in postscript
mode.

> are the typfaces important?
>
>      45 TrueType?, 35 PostScript®, 4 international

No - a postscript document will send its own as needed.

> is it worthwhile to upgrade the RAM for light printing duties?

No.

> Does anyone have experiene with this particular model?  Does it work well
> (can it easily be made to work well) under Linux?

It seems very similar to, but faster than, my 1200SE.  Those work fine
with Linux, no issues at all (I've used them both via USB and via
parallel).

> Does HP use the toner cartridge authentication like Lexmark?  I.e., non-
> authentic toner cartridge results in lower print quality or no printing
> at all?

Not to my knowledge.

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu