[OT] Printer Languages (WAS: Re: [OT] Printer recommendations)

 --- Allan Wind <allanwind@lifeintegrity.com> escribió:
> On 2003-06-10 21:36:54, Andrew Perrin wrote:
> > I like my HP laserjet 1200SE, which meets all your criteria. Fast, cheap,
> > postscript, parallel.
>
> Agree. If you want ethernet you can always add a jet direct to the
> mix (internal or external).

OK.  So I took a look at the HP site and looked at the entry level personal
laserjets.  I liked the 1300 (20 ppm, 1200x1200, network capable, parallel)
and it seems like a good deal at $399 (from the Hp site, I can probably do
better somewhere else).

My questions are (as far printer languages):

what are these languages and what do they mean?

     HP PCL 6, HP PCL 5e, HP printer language (emulates Adobe® PostScript®
Level 2)

are the typfaces important?

     45 TrueType?, 35 PostScript®, 4 international

is it worthwhile to upgrade the RAM for light printing duties?

Does anyone have experiene with this particular model?  Does it work well
(can it easily be made to work well) under Linux?

Does HP use the toner cartridge authentication like Lexmark?  I.e., non-
authentic toner cartridge results in lower print quality or no printing
at all?

-Roberto Sanchez

Yahoo! Sorteos  -  http://loteria.yahoo.es
Juega a la Lotería Primitiva sin salir de casa