Re: Good Open Source Web Development software

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 10:00:06AM +0300, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 June 2003 08:11, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > So contrary to popular belief, we should not design web pages to be
> > IE compliant, since they do not meet OPEN standards. Is this
> > surprising?
>
> Well, the problem is, the opposite. When designing OPEN standard
> compliant webpages, which are not IE compatible.
>
> When a situation like this happens, you (the web designer) have got tree
> choices:
>
> 1) forget the use of technology (CSS in this case)
> 2) forget Open Standard compliance
> 3) forget that the page sucks on 90% of people
>
> I myself, chose number 3, because I had to use CSS, and I couldn't
> ignore W3C compliance. Others, may not do so.

No, the right thing to do is to know about the few bits of CSS that you
can't reliably use for cross-browser compatibility, and don't use them.
"Eric Meyer on CSS" is an excellent book that goes into these issues.

Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater.

Cheers,