Re: [OT] Printer recommendations

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 19:28, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Greetings list,
>
> It's official: my Epson Stylus Color 400 is dead after 6 years of faithful
> service.
>
> I'm in the market for a new printer and I would like some suggestions.
> Here are my parameters:
>
> - Laser printer (the inkjet has just been a money pit for the last year)
> - Reasonably priced (less than $500 is optimal)
> - Reasonably economical to operate (long term low cost per page printed)
> - Light use (will be connected to my home network)
> - Must have parallel interface (will connect to my Woody box which has no USB)
> - Speaks Postscript (I believe this makes it easier that I don't need drivers)
> - Small footprint desirable
> - Speed is not a concern (i.e., can print slow)
>
> I know this is OT, but I would like some suggestions since I haven't purchased
> a printer in 6 years and have never seriously looked at laser printers.  Also,
> I run lprng on my Woody box and would like to keep it like that (since I
> finally figured out how it works), but I am willing to switch to CUPS if that
> is necessary.
>
> -Roberto Sanchez

> Yahoo! Sorteos  -  http://loteria.yahoo.es
> Juega a la Lotería Primitiva sin salir de casa

Ghostscript should make any reasonably solid laser printer that doesn't
use some grotesquely obscure control system or Windows GDI appear to be
a PostScript printer, and it does that with PCL printers (most HP laser
printers) very well. A printer with PostScript is automatically going to
cost a chunk more as it requires a license for the PostScript
interpreter from Adobe (or a work-alike, often from QMS.)

I've been running an HP 5L for some six years, and other than a paper
feed headache in its design, it has been solid, economical, easy to
configure and manage, and nicely compact, particularly compared to the
HP DeskJet that sits next to it for when I *must* see the colour on
paper. Toner cartridges are rated at 2500 pages but routinely print in
excess of 5000 for general home usage on primarily text. Unlike the
likely 25 cents or quarter of a Euro that a typical inkjet page costs to
produce, this thing works out to about 2 cents per page.

That said, HP doesn't make the 5Ls themselves anymore, but the HP
LaserJet 1200 is largely the same market position (household and low
demand business) with a higher resolution but the same relatively low
price. The 1200 and its ilk have reverted to a paper feed similar to the
old HP LaserJet Series II, ensuring that each sheet is fed separately.
Prices run around the same as a mid-market inkjet printer and while the
toner cartridge is priced higher than replacement inkjet cartridges, the
toner lasts far, far longer, and there is often more opportunity to find
third-party toner cartridges that match.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org