Re: [OT] Printer recommendations

On Wed, Jun 11, 2003 at 01:28:42AM +0200, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> Greetings list,
>
> It's official: my Epson Stylus Color 400 is dead after 6 years of faithful
> service.
>
> I'm in the market for a new printer and I would like some suggestions.
> Here are my parameters:
>
> - Laser printer (the inkjet has just been a money pit for the last year)
> - Reasonably priced (less than $500 is optimal)
> - Reasonably economical to operate (long term low cost per page printed)
> - Light use (will be connected to my home network)
> - Must have parallel interface (will connect to my Woody box which has no
        USB)
> - Speaks Postscript (I believe this makes it easier that I don't need
        drivers)
> - Small footprint desirable
> - Speed is not a concern (i.e., can print slow)

www.linuxprinting.org has reasonable reviews.

FWIW, I have an HP LJ 1200 and have been quite happy with it.  Only pisser
was Costco's later price drop to $320-something after the initial
$380-something.  But, it's served me well in the interim. Haven't had to get
a new toner cartridge yet despite good use.

Don't know if it fits your idea of small footprint, though.  Does take
a parallel line, which I use.

Kenward
--
In a completely rational society, the best of us would aspire to be
_teachers_ and the rest of us would have to settle for something less,