Re: [OT] Printer Languages (WAS: Re: [OT] Printer recommendations)

On 2003-06-11 05:23:17, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> OK.  So I took a look at the HP site and looked at the entry level personal
> laserjets.  I liked the 1300 (20 ppm, 1200x1200, network capable, parallel)
> and it seems like a good deal at $399 (from the Hp site, I can probably do
> better somewhere else).

1200 has been discontinued in favor of the 1300 it seems.  Slightly
better sepcs like 20 ppm instead of 15 ppm, 8 sec for the first page
instead of 10 sec.

You should know that the 1200 is relatively slow at rendering graphics;
perhaps they juiced up the processor a bit on the 1300?  I cannot find
anything in the specs on that, of course.

> what are these languages and what do they mean?
>
>      HP PCL 6, HP PCL 5e, HP printer language (emulates Adobe® PostScript®
> Level 2)

PCL and postscript are two page description languages (i.e. telling the
printer how the page should look like).  PCL is an HP invention,
PostScript an earlier Adobe invention and considered the standard on
Unix.  Programs in general output postcript.  Drivers are available
these days, especially for PCL which is a defacto standard (check out
http://linuxprinting.org).

> are the typfaces important?
>
>      45 TrueType?, 35 PostScript®, 4 international

If they are build in, you do not have to send them over with the
document.  35 postscript fonts are standard.

> is it worthwhile to upgrade the RAM for light printing duties?

I added 64 MB (Crucial) to mime, it probably made no difference but
figured it would not be worth worrying about later.

> Does HP use the toner cartridge authentication like Lexmark?  I.e., non-
> authentic toner cartridge results in lower print quality or no printing
> at all?

Not sure what you mean. I got HP toner.  They come in normal and large
capacity, and I got the latter which lowers the cost per page slightly.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
P.O. Box 2022