Re: framebuffer

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003 13:00:11 +0200, LeVA wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have installed a matrox g200 video card. I compiled the kernel with fb
> devices etc.. etc..
> With the fbset program program I can setup my resolutions, and refresh
> rates fine, but what is in the fb.modes file, is not enough for me. I
> wish to add some other res, and refresh modes, but I don't know how to
> figure out these values:
>
> mode "1024x768-100"
>      # D: 110.0 MHz, H: 79.023 kHz, V: 99.78 Hz
>      geometry 1024 768 1024 768 8
>      timings 9091 280 0 16 0 88 8
> endmode
>
> I want to add a 1024x768-85 but, don't know how to reckon geometry and
> timings values.
> If somebody can, please let me know how.
>
> The other question is, how to set up at boot time, that _all_ of my
> consoles get the appropriate fb values. Switching to every console, and
> typing 'fbset 1024x768-75' is boring :).
>
> Thanks!
>
> Daniel Levai
>
> --
> LeVA

As another poster suggested, modeline2fb will be of enormous help
with this.  I have a matrox G550 card that I use with the framebuffer
with great results.

What I did was started up X with the resolutions that I wanted,
and grabbed the modelines that were output in /var/log/Xfree86?.log
file.  Then I ran modeline2fb on these X modelines to generate the
fb values.  I added the lines output from modeline2fb to
/etc/fb.modes, gave each resolution a useful name and voila.   It
all worked really smoothly for me - the fb mode was always aligned,
sized, etc just as well as my X session.

HTH
-Drew

--
In God we trust; all others we monitor.