Re: D-Link DFE-530TX under 2.4.16-686

On 4 Jun 2003 ScruLoose <scruloose+debuser@eastlink.ca> wrote:

>Wanting to replace my prehistoric 10base-T card with something that can do
>100, I bought myself a D-Link DFE-530TX and stuffed it into a free PCI
>slot. So I Googled for drivers and I keep being told that the card *is*
>supported, and uses the via-rhine drivers/module.  But modprobe via-rhine
>fails.
>
>lspci shows the card as:
>00:10.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3106 (rev 86)
>
>The output of modprobe via-rhine is:
>/lib/modules/2.4.16-686/kernel/drivers/net/via-rhine.o: init_module: No such device
>Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid
> IO or IRQ parameters
>/lib/modules/2.4.16-686/kernel/drivers/net/via-rhine.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.16-
>686/kernel/drivers/net/via-rhine.o failed
>/lib/modules/2.4.16-686/kernel/drivers/net/via-rhine.o: insmod via-rhine failed
>
> So I'm suspecting that I need to pass it some command-line parameters, but
> *what* parameters?  Do I need to be specifying IO or IRQ parameters, as
> mentioned in the hint above, and if so where do I get the values to pass
> to it?

All I can say is that if you do
  # cat /proc/interrupts
  # cat /proc/ioports
  # cat /proc/iomem
you will find out what settings the card actually has or expects (or does
a device whose driver fails to load not show up in these files?), and that
  # cd /lib/modules/2.4.16-686/kernel/drivers/net
  # modinfo -p via-rhine.o
should tell you what parameters you can pass to the via-rhine driver.

Maybe the web site of the card's manufacturer, or that of the company that
wrote the driver, has information on what parameter values the driver
needs, or on what other voodoo is necessary to make the card work?

Ben

--

B.F.M. Kal
Anjelierstraat 1,   2014 TC Haarlem,  Netherlands