Re: Laptop Pcmcia question -- follow up question

On 5 Jun 2003 Larry <doccpu@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yes, I do have pcmcia-cs installed.  The cardmgr I see is loaded at boot.
> But when, for example, I run cardinfo, I get an idcation of no card, even
> if I've put a flashdisk or ethernet card in.
>
> Perhaps I need to load a driver for whatever card I insert, ....

Of course.

> .... though I thought that's what cardmgr did.

Indeed, IF it can find the driver.

'man cardmgr' tells us:
"When a card is inserted, cardmgr looks up the card in a database of known
cards. If the card can be identified, appropriate device drivers will be
loaded and bound to the card".

The 'database of known cards' is the file
  /etc/pcmcia/config
I think you must search that file for cards you insert, and check if the
drivers mentioned in their 'bind' instructions are present in
  /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/pcmcia/

If they are and your pcmcia cards nevertheless do not work, I am stuck.
Otherwise, I believe that you have to get the package
  pcmcia-source
Use it to compile a package called
  pcmcia-modules-<kernel-version>
after configuring pcmcia-source to produce all the driver modules you may
possibly want to use. Finally install your
  pcmcia-modules-<kernel-version>
package and your pcmcia subsystem should be ok.

Ben

--

B.F.M. Kal
Anjelierstraat 1,   2014 TC Haarlem,  Netherlands