D-Link DFE-530TX under 2.4.16-686

Hi all,

Wanting to replace my prehistoric 10base-T card with something that can
do 100, I bought myself a D-Link DFE-530TX and stuffed it into a free
PCI slot. So I Googled for drivers and I keep being told that the card
*is* supported, and uses the via-rhine drivers/module.  But modprobe
via-rhine fails.
I do still have my old card in there as eth0 right now...  I did try
pulling it out, but it made no difference to the error message.
My system is woody, with the 2.4.16-686 kernel.

lspci shows the card as:
00:10.0 Ethernet controller: VIA Technologies, Inc.: Unknown device 3106 (rev 86)

The output of modprobe via-rhine is:
/lib/modules/2.4.16-686/kernel/drivers/net/via-rhine.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid
 IO or IRQ parameters
/lib/modules/2.4.16-686/kernel/drivers/net/via-rhine.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.16-
686/kernel/drivers/net/via-rhine.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.16-686/kernel/drivers/net/via-rhine.o: insmod via-rhine failed

So I'm suspecting that I need to pass it some command-line parameters,
but *what* parameters?  Do I need to be specifying IO or IRQ parameters,
as mentioned in the hint above, and if so where do I get the values to
pass to it?

	Thanks for any help