Re: [Alsa-user] Re: bizarre ALSA problems with SBLive... -- SOLVED

At Thu, 5 Jun 2003 19:31:33 -0500,
Greg Norris wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 05, 2003 at 07:04:59PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> > ah, that's good to know.  i should remove the pci id from emu10k1
> > driver.
> >
> > do you have any chance to see what kind of chip exactly is that?
> > even though it's handled on software, there must be a CODEC and (very
> > likely) a DMA engine.  i doubt Dell uses its truely unique chip.
> > it must be an OEM chip which is compatible with something...
>
> I couldn't find any relevant technical docs at Dell's site, but
> according to their FAQ it uses the "EMU10K1X software-accelerated
> Digital Signal Processor".  The card lists the model as SB0200, and the
> chip has "EMU10K1X-DBQ" printed on it.  Apparently there's also a
> SB0203 model, which is just a minor revision.

i checked now also the Dell site, and it seems in fact a compatible
chip with the original emu10k1 in some levels.

could you load the emu10k1 driver at all?
didn't it crash?

> For whatever it's worth, I've attached the output from lspci... I
> didn't see any relevant entries in /proc/dma.  I've notified Dell that
> I intend to return the card for credit (haven't yet heard back), so if
> there's any more information you'd like to obtain please let me know
> ASAP.

usually no DMA entries in the case of DMA.

> Alternately, if you'd prefer to examine the beastie firsthand, I'd be
> willing to forgo the credit and ship the card to you at my own expense.
> Again, I'll need to know fairly quickly if this is the case.

well, getting the card is, of course, fine for me, but i have to say
it's difficult to debug such a problem without the enough hardware
information and not sure at all whether i can fix it.
better to send such a thing back :)

Takashi