Re: bizarre ALSA problems with SBLive... -- SOLVED

Ok, I finally got this sorted out.  I had Dell's OEM card, which turns
out to be substantially different from the retail version (despite
being advertised as a SBLive, and manufactured by Creative).  It handles
DSP via software (GRRRRR!!!), and according to Dell will only work (on
Windows, of course) using their own proprietary drivers.  In essence,
the @#$%! thing is a WinSBLive.

I've replaced it with a retail version, and all is working properly.
Since this was a new system, I plan to return the original for credit.