Re: Partitioning advice, 13.9 GB HD

On 4 Jun 2003 lists1 <lists1@pilosoft.net> wrote:

> My friend has just emailed back saying that Debian doesn't use opt at all,
> that's a quirk of suse, so I'm changing the setup to add more to var, where
> he says the deb files go (var/cache/apt/archives), so I'm looking at this:
>
> /             2    GB
> /boot       140    MB
> /opt        500
> /tmp          1    GB
> /usr          2    GB
> /var          2.76 GB
> /home         5    GB/balance
> swap        500    MB
>
> Should swap be larger with 128 MB Ram, dealing with 700 MB+ iso images (my
> burner is on this box).

AFAIK the guide to the size of swap is the amount of RAM: make it equal to
or twice that amount. By that standard you can cut down swap at least to
half what you now plan to make it. I don't know if Linux would like to
fill swap space with the iso image when a cd burner is busy but I doubt it.

> Did I make opt too small?

Only you may know. What would you want to put into it? It is true that
by default there is no /opt in a Debian installation, but you can decide
to have a policy of having an /opt for at least a certain class of
applications, and if you want a separate partition for /opt you must make
an estimate of the amount of disk space such applications will need.

Further:

/boot can be much smaller (I agree with Jose on that), because it needs
only to provide space for a couple of kernel images;

/ can probably be much smaller too, because what is to be on it that
really takes space other than /lib, /dev, /bin, /sbin, /etc, /root?
On my laptop these directories only take 32 Mb. That may be on the
low end of the spectrum for this total, but to me it looks hard to
make it rise to 2 Gb.

Ben

--

B.F.M. Kal
Anjelierstraat 1,   2014 TC Haarlem,  Netherlands