Re: Debian x Redhat

> On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 14:20, Bruno Diniz de Paula wrote:
> > Hi guys,
> >
> > first of all, I'm not definetely willing to start a war here
> > (although I think I have already). :-) I'm a very satisfied and
> > enthusiastic Debian user, but I would like to hear from you guys
> > the essential pros and cons of each of the distributions. I'm
> > asking because for me the best thing about Debian (besides others)
> > is the package manager system. Now I've heard RedHat 9 has
> > something that resembles apt, which would put down this advantage
> > of Debian. So, what do you think?

RedHat does not have apt. apt was ported to support RPM long ago by
Connectiva. Now, you can manualy go and install apt on major RPM based
distros, like RedHat, SuSE and Mandrake. But, apt-rpm (as it is called)
does not enjoy the advantages that it enjoys in Debian. I used apt-rpm
when I had a RedHat 7.3 box, and it was completely useless. Because the
repositories are so small (again, because the original company does not
support it), that it is useless. Only a hanfull of applications, can
work with apt-rpm.

--
/* There is SCO owned IP all over the Linux kernel. SCO will hunt them.
Free software infidels are liars. We will kill them all, and roast their

Aryan Ameri