Re: kdm init files and xmodmap

* Tal Eisenberg (eisental@012.net.il) [030604 01:48]:
> I realize that I'm again "stealing" the thread... I just wanted to say that I
> really had no intention of doing that (How does the list server know i
> replied if I changed the subject?). Anyways, sorry for the inconvinience I
> will post my question again on a new thread.

Just FYI, here[1]'s a screenshot that should demonstrate what "threading"
is, for anyone using a non-threading mailer.  By making use of the
In-Reply-To and References headers that are generated by replying to
messages, a mailer can provide a lot of information about who said what
subject".  You can also see how hijacking a thread can be very
distracting.  Particularly for sorting; I (and I assume others) sort by
bringing threads with new activity in them to the bottom of the list.
When a thread gets hijacked, the new discussion, which is grafted onto
the old one, keeps bringing the whole old thread back.  Also, when a
thread is decidedly uninteresting, the whole thread can get killed,
meaning that any new messages with a particlar message-id in its
you want to post your questions!  By starting a new thread, you give
yourself the best chance that someone will read and respond to your
question, and not be annoyed that you hijacked a thread =)

[1] http://www.doorstop.net/thread_hijack.png

good times,
Vineet