Re: Knoppix ISO image is 715MB - How Do I burn it ?

* Paul Johnson (baloo@ursine.ca) [030604 02:35]:
> On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 01:56:58PM +0100, Pigeon wrote:
> > So a megabyte *is* 1048576 bytes, etc, and I don't think this usage is
> > particularly likely to change.
>
> I know I'm not switching just because some industry marketroids think
> they can bastardize several decades of standardization, and I really
> think it's a bad plan to change now.

"several decades of standardization"?  The only "standard" usage of mega
is 1.0e6.  When people started calling 2^10 bytes a megabyte, it was for
convenience, not "standardization".  Also, I don't know how far it goes
back, but I'm sure that the 1e6 usage of the mega- prefix was in use
long before the SI came around ~1 centuries ago.  I'd call several
decades of the 2^10 usage pretty meager.

1 KiB is unambiguously 1024 bytes.  The terms "MB" and "megabyte" have
been overloaded, and are clumsily ambiguous.  The stubborn "well, I'm
not changing now!" attitude is the same reason why the US still uses
archaic units of measurement for damn near everything, and why we
crash-landed on Mars a few years back =p

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/