Re: Partitioning advice, 13.9 GB HD

On Wed, 2003-06-04 at 16:46, lists1 wrote:
[...]
> My friend has just emailed back saying that Debian doesn't use opt at all,
> that's a quirk of suse, so I'm changing the setup to add more to var, where
> he says the deb files go (var/cache/apt/archives), so I'm looking at this:
>
> /               2 GB
> /boot       140 MB
> /opt 	        500
> /tmp	        1 GB
> /usr          2 GB
> /var          2.76 GB
> /home     5 GB/balance
> swap      500 MB

First off, why do you need to do such granular partitioning? Why
wouldn't a simple separation of /boot / and /home work for you?
Karsten's suggestions are a matter of personal taste, I would suggest
that you not impose limitations on yourself before you really know what
*your* needs are going to be. (insert quote about premature optimization
here)

That said, this is how much space is being taken up on my system, I've
got sid with gnome2 openoffice, evolution, mozilla, development tools
etc

209M    var
3.5G    usr
2.6M    tmp
8.0G    home

I have three partitions, / (4.9G) /home (9.4G) and /boot(100M). It would
probably not be a bad idea to make /tmp a separate partition to avoid
apps crashing if/when / gets full, but other than that I have never had
a problem with this arrangement.

-Mark