Re: Apache mod-ssl HOWTOs?

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 12:03:04AM -0400, ScruLoose wrote:
> So I *think* what I need to do is to have two separate invocations of
> apache running all the time: one listening for http on port 80 and the
> other listening for https on port, umm... 443 I think it was.

Right.  You will run two Apache servers.  They have separate configs
(separate /etc/apache* dirs) and separate logs.  The don't conflict with
each other.

> Now, I'm very new to webserver administration and Apache, so I'm gonna
> need a whole lot of reading materials for this.

Depends.  The Debian pakcages work nicely out of the box, I found.

What I did is just add some redirects from the http server to https
server for things that need to be ssl.

As for books, I'll suggest Writing Apache Modules with Perl and C as a
fantastic book to learn about the internal workings of Apache.  It's not
much administration, but if you understand the internals of how it works
it makes it a lot easier to know how and what needs to be controlled...

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org