Re: Problem with MX records behind firewall.

On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 07:31:03PM +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> Interesting idea, but I am not sure how it works - so is your configuration
> like mine?
>
> On the lan, the default gateway is the netgear box (10.0.10.200) and the mail
> server is a separate box on the lan (10.0.10.100).  All machines on my
> network have 10.0.10.200 as the default gateway.
>
> Should I ifconfig on the mail server 10.0.10.100 to add the additional ip
> address - in which case, do I need to do something with route on the other
> machines to ensure that packets for the new "external" ip address route via
> the 10.0.10.100 interface to ensure it gets picked up?

OK - my configuration is different.  I route everything through my Linux
gateway, and then onto the DSL router, which means that I can do this
(as all packets hit the internal interface on my linux box).

In your case, is it possible to add a static route on the netgear box to
point to your mail server?  This would mean that the internal addresses
would be routed correctly, but it may affect the external access
(depending on whether the NATing or routing takes priority).

--
"It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical