Re: Problem with MX records behind firewall.

On Monday 02 Jun 2003 8:08 am, Andrew Shipton wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 12:16:30AM +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> > I am having a problem with Mailman on my internal network with the
> > chandlerfamily.org.uk mail addresses.  My guess is its doing an MX lookup
> > and getting the external address of my netgear box.  Unfortunately, the
> > port-forwarding does not seem to work when accessing the box from
> > internally.
> I have a similar issue with my setup (where the IP address of my server
> is a RFC1918 address, and is nat'd through a gateway).
> I get around this by ifconfig'ing up the external IP address as an alias
> to my network interface.

Interesting idea, but I am not sure how it works - so is your configuration
like mine?

On the lan, the default gateway is the netgear box ( and the mail
server is a separate box on the lan (  All machines on my
network have as the default gateway.

Should I ifconfig on the mail server to add the additional ip
address - in which case, do I need to do something with route on the other
machines to ensure that packets for the new "external" ip address route via
the interface to ensure it gets picked up?

- --
Alan Chandler
Version: GnuPG v1.2.2 (GNU/Linux)