Re: Knoppix ISO image is 715MB - How Do I burn it ?

Thus spake Roberto Sanchez (rcsanchez97@yahoo.es):

>  --- Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> escribió: > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED
> MESSAGE-----
> >
> > On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 12:28:08PM +0300, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > > It has always worked for me. I use eroaster to burn CDs, and (for no
> > > appaent reason) the Knoppix iso image fits on a 700 MB CD. There is a
> > > feature in eroaster (which is just a frontend anyway) which allows
> > > "over burning". I guess it has something to do with this option.
> >
> > Actually, it has more to do with the fact that the metric system gets
> > weird with computers.  Kilo, mega, giga, etc are working off base 2
> > instead of base 10 numbering.  This means a kilobyte is 1024 bytes, a
> > megabyte is 1024 kilobytes, and 715,000,000 bytes is 698.2 MB, not 715
> > MB.
> >

> That is true only in the technical sense.  I.e., the spec sheet for my laptop
> says it has a 20GB harddrive (and in 2 pt. font, at the bottom, they define a
> GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes).  So, in the technical sense, my drive is only 18.6
> GB (20e9/1024^3).  Leave it up to the marketing types to cloud the
> issue.

Actually it's mainly the hard drive manufacturers. To them 1GB =
1,000,000,000 as you note above. In my experience all hard drives are
spec'ed this way. Of course, most software does the right thing and
report in terms of powers of 2, where 1GB = 1,073,741,824.

Memory, OTOH (and thank heavens) isn't. At least, I've never noticed
being shortchanged on a memory module.

--
|Deryk Barker, Computer Science Dept. | Music does not have to be understood|
|Camosun College, Victoria, BC, Canada| It has to be listened to.           |