Re: Knoppix ISO image is 715MB - How Do I burn it ?

 --- Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> escribió: > -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED
MESSAGE-----

> On Mon, Jun 02, 2003 at 12:28:08PM +0300, Aryan Ameri wrote:
> > It has always worked for me. I use eroaster to burn CDs, and (for no
> > appaent reason) the Knoppix iso image fits on a 700 MB CD. There is a
> > feature in eroaster (which is just a frontend anyway) which allows
> > "over burning". I guess it has something to do with this option.
>
> Actually, it has more to do with the fact that the metric system gets
> weird with computers.  Kilo, mega, giga, etc are working off base 2
> instead of base 10 numbering.  This means a kilobyte is 1024 bytes, a
> megabyte is 1024 kilobytes, and 715,000,000 bytes is 698.2 MB, not 715
> MB.

That is true only in the technical sense.  I.e., the spec sheet for my laptop
says it has a 20GB harddrive (and in 2 pt. font, at the bottom, they define a
GB as 1,000,000,000 bytes).  So, in the technical sense, my drive is only 18.6
GB (20e9/1024^3).  Leave it up to the marketing types to cloud the issue.

-Roberto Sanchez

Yahoo! Messenger - Nueva versión GRATIS
http://messenger.yahoo.es