Re: Courier-imap setup problem: Maildir not found?

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 00:53, Joao Clemente wrote:
> I'm trying to setup a courier-imap server on a machine running debian stable
> (woody) 3.0r1
> (I need a IMAP server for setting up a webmail program I'm trying to deploy)
>
> I've apt-get courier-imap, and it installed fine... When I try to connect to
> it through a mail client (for instance, outlook express) I get an error
> message.
> This message says something like "The server says no Maildir found". (I will
> post the exact message later, but it seems to be created by OE, and not
> something returned by the server. The server seems to return a numeric error
> code).

Courier-IMAP requires that user's $HOME/Maildir/ exists and the
permissions are set so the user can chdir into this directory (usually
700). Try `man maildirmake` or `man courier.maildirmake`. Before your
mails get delivered into a Maildir instead of a mbox file, you have to
setup your MTA (exim) appropriately. afaik there's even an example
config in /usr/share/doc/exim/...

> So, the install process of courier-imap seems buggy, but I guess it is
> specific to some condition I have, since I see no bug report or thread about
> these issues. What do I need to do to get this working?

It's not buggy :) You can't expect courier package to create a Maildir/
for each user upon install...

HTH,
Igor

--