Re: lists vs. subscribe (was Re: mutt to follow discussions.)

* Bill Moseley <moseley@hank.org> [05-29-03 18:36]:
> On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 02:39:13PM +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:
>
> > The logic for the mail-followup-to header is a little more
> > complicated, and involves both subscribed and known lists.
> >
> > First of all, mutt will only generate a mail-followup-to header if
> > (1) the $followup_to option is set,
>
> Which is the default.
>
> > and (2) the message goes to a
> > *known* list.  The header will then point to *all* recipients of the
> > message (i.e., all the lists and anyone who may be CCed).
> >
> > Your own address will be added to the mail-followup-to header if you
> > are not subscribed to any of the lists to which you direct
>
> Or in other words, if you want replies sent only to the list, then use
> "subscribe", but if you want your own address added to the
> Mail-Followup-To header (so you receive a direct copy) then use "lists".
> I prefer "lists" because the mail gets to me sooner.

Not quite.  The idea is that lists that you are actually subscribed and
active, you list as subscribed in muttrc.  You normally receive all the
posts in those subscribed lists.

The lists that you may frequent but are not actively subscribed are
listed as lists (known lists).  Since you are not actively subscribed,
unless you provide a 'Mail-Followup-To' header, you will not receive
answers to your posts.  By listing them as 'lists' in muttrc, 'L,
list_reply' function will add your return address to 'Mail-Followup-To'
automatically so you will receive answers to your posts.

> I wonder what percent of mail clients use Mail-Followup-To and then what
> percent of users of those clients use the "List" reply function.
>
> And replying to this message, I've got debian-user as a "lists", but not
> mutt-users, thus To: debian-user and Cc: mutt-users.  If mutt was a
> "lists" or subscribed then they would both be on the To: line.

No, that is cross posting.  Normally posting is only done in the
particular list that you are reading (subscribed or not).

Subscribed:  mutt knows that you receive the list mail
List:        mutt knows to provide 'Mail-Followup-To' so you will
             receive answers to your post.

> > In pseudo-code:
> >
> >     if ((message goes to known list) && (we haven't obtained \
> >         mail_followup_to from user or from message we reply to))) {
> >
> >     	copy all recipients to mail-followup-to;
> >
> > 	remove self from mail-followup-to;
> >
> >  	if (!(mail-followup-to points to subscribed list)) {
> > 	    	add self to mail-followup-to;
> >         }
> >     }

Clear as mudd ??

gud luk
--
Patrick Shanahan                  Please avoid TOFU and trim >quotes<
http://wahoo.no-ip.org                  Registered Linux User #207535