Re: lists vs. subscribe (was Re: mutt to follow discussions.)

On Thu, May 29, 2003 at 02:39:13PM +0200, Thomas Roessler wrote:

> The logic for the mail-followup-to header is a little more
> complicated, and involves both subscribed and known lists.
>
> First of all, mutt will only generate a mail-followup-to header if
> (1) the $followup_to option is set,

Which is the default.

> and (2) the message goes to a
> *known* list.  The header will then point to *all* recipients of the
> message (i.e., all the lists and anyone who may be CCed).
>
> Your own address will be added to the mail-followup-to header if you
> are not subscribed to any of the lists to which you direct

Or in other words, if you want replies sent only to the list, then use
"subscribe", but if you want your own address added to the
Mail-Followup-To header (so you receive a direct copy) then use "lists".
I prefer "lists" because the mail gets to me sooner.

I wonder what percent of mail clients use Mail-Followup-To and then what
percent of users of those clients use the "List" reply function.

And replying to this message, I've got debian-user as a "lists", but not
mutt-users, thus To: debian-user and Cc: mutt-users.  If mutt was a
"lists" or subscribed then they would both be on the To: line.

> In pseudo-code:
>
>     if ((message goes to known list) && (we haven't obtained \
>         mail_followup_to from user or from message we reply to))) {
>
>     	copy all recipients to mail-followup-to;
>
> 	remove self from mail-followup-to;
>
>  	if (!(mail-followup-to points to subscribed list)) {
> 	    	add self to mail-followup-to;
>         }
>     }
>
> Hope that helps,