Re: Resistance Is Futile. {positive tangent}

On Sun, May 25, 2003 at 09:40:29PM +0100, Clive Menzies wrote:
> On (25/05/03 15:43), Soren Andersen wrote:
> > Anyway, welcome to my killfile. The Free Software community and in fact
> > every human community that is oriented around positive, constructive
> > endeavors and goals has way to much to do, to waste time on someone
> > stuck in the realm of Anger, as is the case with you. Anger like yours
> > is the World of Hell and you have thus most aptly named yourself. If you
> > think it is some kind of badge of honor or distinction to wear such a
> > label you are doubly a fool: this kind of diffuse, general rage is among
> > the most pedestrian and mundane of human phenomena. It ends up with the
> > greatest damage wreaked on the bearer of the rage himself, and is
> > therefore one of the most pitiful and wasteful as well as common
> > phenomena, to boot. Any sense of power you think you experience from
> > indulging in your rage is sheerest illusion. You are just bashing your
> > head against a stone wall of your own manufacture. Hope you get over it
> > someday. Hope we ALL get over it someday, because this is common Human
> > karma or destiny.

> Right on! Soren
> Mercifully, this list and others within the Linux community are
> relatively free of the self-obsessed.  Makes you wonder why those that
> are (self-obsessed) involve themsleves in the free software community
> unless it is sheer perversity ;-)

Thanks.

Well, yeah, it is strange to see when someone with no interest in
getting along with others gets attracted to a Linux community. You
sometimes forget what an amazing phenomenon it is that all these diverse
people are behaving so cooperatively. It being the norm, the aberrant
exception sticks out like a sore thumb.

Not to get theological, but your choice of the word "perversity" makes
my think about the Buddhist philosophical concepts that form a backdrop
of my habitual terminology, referring to Anger as a "world" or "realm".
The theoretical system that discusses basic places that we humans "go"
(as in: "don't go there") traditionally employed the expedient (in an
earlier, premodern age) of talking about states of being like "Anger" or
"Tranquility" as if they were distinct, separate, metaphysical planets
or "worlds." And the alternate name for the state or "World" of Anger,
in this philosophical system , *is* "Perversity." So by definition one
understands that people with a deeply ingrained habit of Anger
controlling them, cannot behave in any other manner than one which is
notably perverse.