Re: initrd and lilo.conf

On Tuesday 27 May 2003 12:22, Brian W. Carver wrote:
> I just compiled a custom 2.4.18 kernel for my woody-running laptop.
>
> I'm new at this and am pretty sure I am about to shutdown and be unable to
> boot back up, because this initrd/lilo stuff has me baffled. Please help!

I had the same questions earlier this month:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2003/debian-user-200305/msg02481.html

1) Best: compile in support for your boot disk drive drivers (IDE most
likely) and filesystem type (ext2, ext3, etc.); then you don't need initrd;

2) try add --initrd to make-kpkg options; read kernel howto re. initrd for
more detail

Both require some work.  Invest in (1) unless you intend to distribute your
kernel to many different machine configurations, then (2) is a good
investment of your time.

HTH,
--
Mike M.