initrd and lilo.conf

I just compiled a custom 2.4.18 kernel for my woody-running laptop. I'm new at this and am pretty sure I am about to shutdown and be unable to boot back up, because this initrd/lilo stuff has me baffled. Please help! I followed the instructions about building a kernel using make-kpkg carefully (the README in /usr/doc/kernel-package) and while in menuconfig chose the initrd option because it suggested I needed to do so. my /etc/lilo.conf says:
image=/vmlinuz
     label=Linux
     read-only
initrd=/initrd.img I added that last line since the first prompt of dpkg -i kernel-image-2.4.18-custom.1.0_i386.deb said to do that. I get the feeling though that they don't literally mean "initrd.img" should go in lilo.conf but that rather I need to know the actual name and location of this initrd.img. I don't know it and don't know where to look for it. Looking around on the web I see people talking about /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18 or whatnot, but I have no such file. I only see vmlinuz-2.2.20-idepci from my previous kernel in /boot. I get the feeling I have to copy the image to /boot but I don't know where to copy it from, or if it's even been created. Thanks for any help!
Brian